- Donald takes a wrapped package out of a suitcase
and hands it to Laura. "A thank you for saving my life gift."
- "Oh, how sweet," Laura coos, as she kisses
Donald on the cheek.
- Donald and Frances grab their bags and head out
the door. More chit chat, promises to send kids' pictures and
to call, as they are finally gone.
- Laura slides the door shut and puts Donald's gift
on her home desk. Steele points at it and asks, "Aren't
you going to open it?"
- "No hurry."
- "Aren't you in the least bit curious?"
- "You know me. I can go months without opening
- He considers it a moment. "Such willpower,
- They stand there another moment, then Laura rushes
over and rips the paper off the box. It's an enormous chocolate
sampler, which must have come from the chocolate convention.
Laura tries to hold out against temptation, then weakens. "Well,
maybe just one."
- "That's what Ray Milland said just before
he lost the weekend."
- "Nope," Laura said quickly placing the
chocolate back in the box and replacing the lid with defiance.
"I can't do it."
- "Tell me, Laura," Remington started,
tugging on his ear, "what happens if you give in to this
of yours. I mean
dangerous can it really be?"
- Laura shot him a look of indignation. She strode
away from the desk where she had placed the chocolates as if
to place as much distance as possible between herself and her
affliction. "We all have our vices, Mr. Steele. For some,
it's alcohol, drugs, or
," she turned to look at him,
"theft. For me, it's chocolate. Once I start, I can't stop.
Pretty soon, it affects my work, breaks my concentration, invades
my every thought
.it is an addiction. My line of work, not
to mention my waistline, do not permit me such an indulgence.
- Remington picked up the box of chocolates from
her desk and once again removing the lid, walked over to where
she stood at the foot of the short flight of steps to her bedroom.
"It seems, Miss Holt, that you allow yourself very few indulgences."
He held the open box of chocolates right in front of her face
so she could inhale the bittersweet aroma. All work and no play
- "makes me a dull girl?" Laura finished
with a playful frown.
- "Mr. Steele, I have other ways of 'indulging'
myself." She grabbed the box of chocolates from him and
sat it down on the raised landing to her left. She grabbed his
lapels and pulled him to her for a searing kiss.
- "I see," Remington responded, staring
into her eyes. "And will this 'indulgence' follow the same
path as your one for chocolate?" Laura laughed as he continued,
"Will it 'break your concentration, invade your every thought?'
- Laura smiled, "It seems that it already has."
They kissed again, slowly and more passionately this time.
- "It seems that jealousy can bring things to
a new light," Laura said breathlessly. "It was flattering
to think you would be jealous of my being with another man."
- "Well, I mean, what was I supposed to think
note as to your whereabouts, a hotel, a man with whom you were
obviously more than merely acquainted
" Laura stopped
him with another searing kiss.
- "I thought we were talking about indulgences,"
she said suggestively.
- "Yes..." he answered with another passionate
- She tangled her hands in his thick hair. As their
kisses grew even more intense, she removed him of his jacket.
He did not object and continued his trail of kisses down her
neck. Finally, he lifted her effortlessly into his arms and up
the few steps to her bedroom. He stood her in front of him just
at the foot of her bed. She began to loosen his tie.
- "Laura," he said huskily, "speaking
again of 'indulgences
'" Laura smiled at him. "Much
more, and I won't be able to stop."
- "You don't have to," she replied and
sealed her intentions with her lips pressed hard on his. "And
I don't think after tonight, you will ever again call me 'dull.'"
- Remington wasn't sure if it was the smell alone
of the chocolates, the jealousy he had professed to her the day
before after seeing her with her brother-in-law in the hotel
lobby or seeing Frances and Donald so happy that changed her
mind about their making love, but at this point, his mind focused
only on Laura and 'indulging' her.